Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Cursed by Jennifer Armentrout

Cursed
Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she’s more than interested. There’s just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she’s willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she’s not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.
Publishes in US: Sept 18th 2012
Source: Spencerhill for honest review
Jennifer says it's currently a stand-alone with series potential

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
      I know that you've heard me go on and on about how great the writing of Jennifer Armentrout is... and big surprise here: I LOVED this book too. (Links go to my reviews of Obsidian and Half-Blood)
      Jennifer has this gift for writing books that make me swoon, fan myself, make sure my husband isn't reading over my shoulder and admire the main character for being awesomesauce.
      Cursed is a bit different from Obsidian and Half-Blood meaning no gods, aliens or apple throwing, but it is still captivating. One plus is that it is currently a stand-alone so we get a wrapped up ending that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out because I need more Aiden/Seth/Daemon... Although I do miss Hayden, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of him... And more of Ember's adventures of course.
      While I totally understood where Ember was coming from and I felt for her, there were times that I just wanted to whisper some sense into her ears. But then I guess the book wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining. Given if I were in some of the situations she was in, I would probably threaten to unleash my deadly touch on them too. That aside, I really enjoyed being in Ember's head. She was so selfless and it was great to be in her head and watch all of the interactions with her little sister Olivia. It was emotional everything that the girls had to deal with, and the guilt and fear that Ember carried around on a daily basis. I can't even imagine having to avoid touching others and it being a life or death situation.
     Cursed features quite a few characters and while all of them were not immediately likable, in fact rather suspicious, they still added to the story. There were all kinds of special gifts and powers, and it felt like a teenage X-men moment going on there, with the JLA twist and a much hotter love interest.
     There was always action or emotional issues to keep the plot moving and keep me on the edge of my bed wanting more.
     Bottom line: Intense, both emotionally, romantically and in action. Great characters and love the premise.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Would it drive you crazy not to be able to touch someone?
Pin It

38 comments:

  1. Ok cupcake I read first and last sentence to see if you liked it, since I am reviewing this myself and don't like to read reviews until mine is written. Glad to see you liked it :) we can compare notes after I post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so curious about this one! I know not to expect Obsidian but JLA is a fantastic writer and I just know I'll enjoy it! And Ember sounds intriguing even though she may need to be slapped silly sometimes >.< Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all teens prb need that, myself back then included

      Delete
  3. I have not read anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I don't know why! Because everybody seems to love all of her books. I shoudl definitely start reading more of her or at least one, to begin with!
    Haha, and I love what you said about checking whether your husband is reading over your shoulder. Mine always does at the most inappropriate times of the book!
    Anyways, glad you liked it, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well I guess that he thinks I read smut anyways, lol

      Delete
  4. So glad you liked this one! CURSED has been getting a LOT of great reviews, and with such an interesting premise, there's no way I'm going to be able to avoid buying this. ;)

    Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh...this sound amazing. I love the whole "Heroes" idea of people being gifted and coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREat review! this soubds like an interesting read and that it's a stand alone book makes me want to read it even more!
    new follower

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's sequel potential and I would love to see more from them, but it is good as is too

      Delete
  7. I actually have yet to read a Jennifer Armentrout novel! I really want to start reading her books though. I really want to check this one out. Thanks so much for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge fan of JLA, and this review has me pumped to further extend my collection of her novels! I'm super pumped to read both Cursed and Onyx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AAAh but but but you'll read all the Jennifer Armentrout books I need t read. When I think I only read one book by her, I need to read more now. glad you enjoyed this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this book and I really hope it turns into a series. O completely devoured this in less than a day. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Obsidian and fell in love with JLA's writing style (and Daemon of course)! I can't wait to read this and your review is just fabulous! Now I really REALLY want to go read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It may not drive me crazy to not be able to touch someone but it's certainly extremely inconvenient.

    Great review! I'm waiting to get the book when it's released next month - JLA always turns on my buying mode :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review, it does sound good :)

    Not being able to touch someone, well...yes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout, I don't know why, but everyone seems to have great things to say about her books! I'm going to have to get into it!!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
    New Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brandi this is one of the books I am trying not to read anything about. I am skimming bits, oo suspicious characters...hmmm:D I shall come back and read once I read Cursed.

    I do love a JLA book:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize this was a stand alone. I do like that it will be all wrapped up at the end but I know I'll want more of these characters. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def want more from them, but she said it has series potential

      Delete
  17. sounds like a really interesting book. I would go crazy if I couldn't touch people. I can't even imagine. And a boy that quotes Oscar Wilde?! I'm swooning already!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow lucky you!! I cannot wait to read this book. From your review I see that I'll probably love it! Great review! :)
    To answer your question...yes it would.

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I have to admit, I have yet to read a Armentrout book. I have great things though. Which of her books would you suggest I start with?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, it would drive me bonkers not to be able to touch anyone. I live on hugs like a caffiene addict lives on coffee. =) Thanks for the review- I hadn't heard of this one, but I want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Jennifer's books and can't wait for this on.
    It is on my must read list

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was my first book by JLA. It was good but kind of similar to other things. My mistake to read it right after Unravel Me which had similar stories about a girls touch that kills. Hayden was really swoon worthy though. I could understand why Ember wouldn't trust them. They did kidnap her after all! It was kind of scary at first. I totally saw the who done it coming though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A teenage X-men with a JLA twist? Sign me up! Like you, I adore JLA and I'm DYING to read this book! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree this was an amazing book, but I wanted to smack Ember randomly, too. Great review. I agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)