Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series
Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.
Published in US:  June 12th 2012
Source: bought
2nd in Bloodlines series, 1st is Bloodlines (read my review HERE), 3rd is The Indigo Spell and it releases Feb 12th 2013
Blkosiner's Book Blog review
In a few words: Awesome with a side of Adrian

   My biggest complaint about this book was the tortuous (to my heart) ending, and the lack of updates on my beloved Rose. And since Richelle has done this to me before, leaving me hanging and wanting so much more, I really expected it, though I have some awesome things to hold on to until Indigo Spell is released. As far as Rose, I know that this series isn't above her, it's about Sydney and Jill, along with smoking hot Adrian, but through Dimitri I hoped we might get a small guest appearance or something... But, that might just make it even harder to let go.
    So, notice that my biggest complaints were really praises for Richelle's writing? Yeah, safe to say that I totally enjoyed this book. Sydney is such a different main character from Rose, but she is still compelling, and it is such character growth to watch her struggle against what she has been taught her whole life and what she sees with her eyes, and feels with her heart. Are humans really capable of being as evil as vampires? Would you take a room of vamps that you trust over a group of humans that seem to be out to get you? Her answers were once crystal clear, but now, more and more she is changing.
    It is really hard to write the review without spoiling anything, but I loved to watch Sydney and Adrian. Getting the closer view into Adrian and what he is dealing with is exactly what I wanted at the end of Vampire Academy, and this series is delivering. His one-liners are fantastic, and we get to see a deeper and more intense side of him that VA only hinted at.
    I love Richelle Mead's young adult books (I haven't tried the adult ones yet, so can't speak for them), and she does not disappoint with this fast paced, page turning sequel and spin off.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever been in a relationship when you wanted there to be sparks/chemistry but there wasn't?
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I also miss Rose so much! I know mostly when she shows up I'll be laughing! That's what I miss the most in this series! Sydney is good character, but I like Adrian more since I've read this series! All in all I think Richell does better job with YA than adult genre! :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know one day I will really have to read the second book of the YA series lol, I'm so late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! We both posted our reviews for The Golden Lily today (haha). I'm a major Vampire Academy series fan, and although I like Bloodlines I just can't seem to get sucked in like I did with VA. I agree, Sydney is an intriguing/interesting character, but I can't help compare her to Rose. I guess I'm just always going to love Rose the most. I really want to know what she's up to, too! Great review! :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree w/Lauren. I just had a hard time w/Sydney in Bloodlines. She doesn't excite me, though I do like her. I had considered dropping this series after Bloodlines , but a lot of reviews have me convinced Golden Lily is better. I think I will give it a try soon. Thanks for such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this book. I also was hoping to hear more about Rose, I guess I'm just not ready to forget about her lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda miss Rose too but I think Sydney is growing on me... and Adrian is just handsome and awesome :)

    I guess being in love with a book character is kinda like having a relationship but without the real sparks/chemistry LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I haven't started this series yet (the pain of Adrian beating Will in the YA crush tourney still hurts...) but I've heard really good things about The Golden Lily and I'm also really glad that Mead decided to continue Adrian's story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Sydney. I understand her. And I think the scenes with her and Adrian together are hilarious. She's going to whip him into shape.
    And I have a feeling Rose will pop up eventually....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I really love Bloodlines and I especially love The Golden Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to finish this but so far I am loving it. It took me a bit to get used to it. I was so into TVA, Rose, Lissa, Dimitri, etc.
    I am glad the author ended TVA where she did. I wish House of Night would follow suit..lolz..
    Gr8 review makes me eager to keep reading..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll take everything with a main course of Adrian!!! LOVE HIM!!! I'm not a big Sydney fan but of course Adrian brings out her fun side. I was also so sad about that ending. My poor Adrian! But I think Sydney will eventually come around. I do want an update on Rose although I'm kind of over her! It is Adrian's time to shine now.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)