Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Defiance (Defiance, #1)
Defiance by C.J. Redwine
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.
At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
Publishes in US: Aug 28th 2012
1st in Defiance series
source: balzer bray for honest review
Blkosiner's Book Blog review
I immediately liked the fire that I saw in Rachel. She was fiesty but she knew when not to cross the line. I admire her fierce devotion to her dad, and her confidence in what she has been taught. I admired how she didn't sit back and let things happen to her, she knew when she could and could not do something and make a difference and even when it was hard, if she could do something, she did. Rachel is all that my inner spirit wants to be with her fiestiness and determination.

I wasn't so sure about Logan, but he won me over in a few pages because his heart was in the right place. I don't know what will happen romantically if anything but it was good to hear his side of what happened and his motivations for hurting her. It's sad that he knows he caused that wall, and I can only imagine what it would be like to grow up with a girl and then all of the sudden be charged with protecting her. (that is the way the society is set up. He was an apprentice to her father and since her dad didn't return and was declared dead, they both thought that an older friend of the family would be appointed.) As the chapters went on we find even more insight into his feelings and thoughts and I grow to like him more and more. He becomes this perfect blend of techie and fighter.

I really enjoyed the dual perspective in this story and I think that moves the plot along, and there are also scenes where it gave more suspense because we knew something the main character did not.

Another plus for the book is that it explored the many forms of grief and how people process it differently and how it effects them. A choice is made in a split second, but it has repercussions and that is dealt with well in Defiance. Sometimes books skim over the negative consequence of actions, but I appreciate how C.J. faces it head on.

I can't wait for the next one, I want to find out more. C.J. Redwine wrapped up the threads of this story while leaving room for questions and definitely a need for the next pages to be in my hands.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Techie or tough guy?

Pin It

36 comments:

  1. Ah! Can't wait to read this one, lucky ;) Love the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so mad at you Brandi!!! I want to read this book sooooooooooo Bad! LOL! Thank you for the AWESOME review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't I have both? Ok fine, if I have to choose then techie, definitely. I love my genius boys.

    So happy to hear you loved this one, its on my TBR and I am excited to read it.

    Sandy
    Scribing Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, nice review. Sounds like an interesting story. I like that you get Logan's side of things; I think I'd really enjoy the dual perspective.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I like the sound of this one. great review! I vote techie. Tough guys are nice to look at but often lack the smarts. I married a techie and it was the best decision of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously the blend is ideal, but, if I have to choose, techie all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess lucky for us, we don't have to chose with his character

      Delete
  7. Rachel sounds like a great character, interesting to discover. Glad Logan improves after some pages. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed reading your review! Rachel seems to be the type of heroine that I like, which means it's very likely that I'd end up getting myself a copy of this book.

    In relation to your question, I'd pick techie over tough, although the tough ones are usually hotter and sexier :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang, I should have tried to get this on Edelweiss! I'd pick the techie! Love a smart guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had any luck getting accepted on Edelweiss?

      Delete
  10. I love dual perspective and techies lol I am very curious what happened between Rachel and Logan in their youth. I'm guessing now that he is assigned to protect her they will work things out hopefully. Doesn't sound like too much romance :-( I love my romance! LOL Great cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a good amount of romance and I think there will be even more in the next one

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one! I really liked it, too, and Rachel was kickass! :D I'm still not sure what I think about Logan, but I'm sure I'll fall in love with him soon. He's such a nice guy. xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book has been on my radar for some time now. I still haven't read it. Hopefully I'll soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh dual perspective I love that :) Speaking of love my inner cover whore is screaming with glee over this cover and the librarian likes your review. I am looking forward to getting to know Logan and Rachel. Good to see the book had depth. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Techie. But my husband would want me to add the disclaimer that he is a tough and manly techie :-)

    I adored this book. Absolutely adored it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this here to read on digital, I am glad you enjoyed it. Again I had a skim read. Oo This techie business??? I am intrigued:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. I have been seeing this around and everyone seems to like it!
    As to your question, brawn or brain? I would probably go for brain because what use is brawn without brain! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a strong heroine like Rachel and this story sounds so interesting to me! The cover is beautiful and I'm glad to read that you liked this book. I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been eager to read this one for quite a while! Characters can really make or break a book for me so I love that your review had so much about them. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am really looking forward to this one. I'm glad the dual perspectives works out and I cannot wait to read about how the author deals with the main character's grief. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i really badly want to read this book. I love the cover and can wait to get my hand of this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved Rachel's feistiness too, Brandie. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this. I can't wait for the next one. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love though guy anyway :p
    i'm dying to read this book not just because the cover is really pretty but also i love the synopsis..
    this book is promising..
    i po from TBD..can't wait to read mine ..
    thx 4 the review... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now! Love how you format your reviews btw.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)