Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Blink Once by Cylin Busby

Blink Once
Blink Once by Cylin Busby
West is a high school senior who has everything going for him until an accident leaves him paralyzed. Strapped down in his hospital bed, slipping in and out of consciousness, West is terrified and alone. Until he meets Olivia. She's the girl next door-sort of. A patient in the room next to his, only Olivia can tell what West is thinking, and only Olivia seems to know that the terrible dreams he's been having are not just a result of his medication. Yet as West comes to rely on Olivia-to love her, even-certain questions pull at him: Why has Olivia been in the hospital for so long? And what does it mean that she is at the center of his nightmares? But the biggest question of all comes when West begins to recover and learns that the mysterious girl he's fallen in love with has a secret he could never have seen coming.
Publishes Sept 4th 2012
Source: netgalley

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
     Let me start by saying this is a very hard story to review without spoiling anything, but let me try.
     Blink Once is an emotional and mysterious story. This was an interesting premise, and I connected pretty well with West. It was definitely a journey being in his head while he is so hurt, not knowing what is real, what is a dream, and trying to piece together everything that happened to him, and if his dreams mean anything.
     I loved Nurse Norris, and often wondered how she could stay so positive and treat the patients with respect day after day.
     Olivia is such a mystery, but she is so key to the story. I love her interactions with West, how she teaches him to communicate and gives him company when others aren't there. When I figure out
     Mike is also a good secondary character. I appreciate how he is there for his friend and how he supports him. He can be a little rough, but his heart is most certainly in the right place.
     Bottom Line: Blink Once is sad, dealing with hard issues, but I like how there is hope laced in.

Just a preview of the great writing by Cylin Busby, one of the quotes that have stuck with me.
"Sometimes at night, when I was alone, or when I was at the pool, in the quiet stillness underwater, my mind would go to that place. To the hospital, to the people there. It was as if my heart could travel, over the miles, over the months that had passed, and I was back with her. Olivia"
cylin busbyAbout Cylin (from her site)
Cylin Busby Ross likes to say that she is from Maine, but really she has lived in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Maine, New York and California.
Since both of her parents were born in Maine, and she went to high school there, she thinks of it as her home state. She can also do a mean Downeast accent.
Cylin has worked at Random House, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster as a children's book editor. She was also Senior Editor at Teen Magazine.
She is the author of fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, numerous magazine articles and short stories. She lives in Los Angeles with her family.
My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever been or known anyone in a major accident?
Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Great review...

    the book really sounds very interesting.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh creeepy! I wonder what is happening

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is mysterious... but interesting.

    In relation to your question, I'd say with the worldwide network that we have nowadays, we'd be in some way in connection with someone who was involved in some form of accident. I guess deep down, it's in everyone's heart that we all wish one another to be safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so big on issues books but I am glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds really good! And the writing sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is new to me, and sounds good but it also sounds like tissues are needed and i have got to be in a particular mood to read this type of book, since i tend to get caught up emotionally. Will add to lit for when the mood hits. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not always a big fan of emotional upheaval books but I am glad to hear that this one laces it with hope, mystery and good solid writing. That certainly makes it worthchecking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so diehard emotional books so I may be baised.

      Delete
  8. I totally agree sometimes is really hard to write a review without spoiling anything! This book sounds really good and maybe I'll read it, but not now, cause I'm not in the mood for something sad and hard.
    P.S. That quote is great.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I loved that quote. It really is beautiful writing. sounds like a unique premise too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like sad novels but ...this looks nice
    Thanks for reviewing

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I didn't realise this would be such an emotionally moving book. I don't think I'm quite in the mood for such a story yet, but I will definitely make note of it. Brilliant review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Nurse. I didn't know this one but it's really intriguing. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of this book before, but going by your brilliant review it must be good! And what a beautiful quote at the end.

    Jessica :) xxx
    www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately, yes - in 2007 my bf almost died from an accident on a job site. An excavator bucket fell 15 feet on top of him, he had to be air-lifted to a major hospital and nearly a month in ICU. Thank God he survived! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds very intriguing, and I second Sam's statement- I had no idea it would be so emotionally touching. Nicely reviewed, Brandi. I may check this one out some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I have been in an accident. A car accident two years ago.

      Delete
  16. I really liked this one. I totally agree - emotional and mysterious. I thought the author did a great job in capturing West's voice. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)