Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery

Anything But Ordinary
Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery
An inspiring, bittersweet love story about making every day count.
Bryce remembers it like it was yesterday. The scent of chlorine. The blinding crack and flash of pain. Blood in the water.
When she wakes up in the hospital, all Bryce can think of is her disastrous Olympic diving trial. But everything is different now. Bryce still feels seventeen, so how can her little sister be seventeen, too? Life went on without her while Bryce lay in a coma for five years. Her best friend and boyfriend have just graduated from college. Her parents barely speak. And everything she once dreamed of doing—winning a gold medal, traveling the world, falling in love—seems beyond her reach.
But Bryce has changed too, in seemingly impossible ways. She knows things she shouldn’t. Things that happened while she was asleep. Things that haven’t even happened yet. During one luminous summer, as she comes to understand that her dreams have changed forever, Bryce learns to see life for what it truly is: extraordinary.
Publishes in US: Sept 11th 2012
Source: Disney Hyperion for honest review

About Lara Avery:
Her site: http://laraavery.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LaraAvery
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/laraaverybooks
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5626114.Lara_Avery

Bio (from her site)

Lara Avery is a recent graduate of Macalester College, and a contracted writer for Alloy Entertainment. Her first novel, Anything But Ordinary, is set for release in 2012. Lara’s writing has also been featured in The Onion AV Club, Bennington College’s plain china: Best Undergraduate Writing of 2009, and on various stages in New York City as a participant in The Moth StorySLAMS.
Buy/Pre-order:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
     This book drew me in from the first words. Bryce is so easy to connect with and I wanted the best for her, and it was painful to go through her journey with her, especially at first when she realized that she lost five years of her life, and everything around her is so uncertain. Lara Avery writes beautifully, inserting just enough conflict, suspense, and character development to leave me hooked.
     There is so much leaving me wondering, about her dreams/flashbacks/forwards wondering if they are true to life, or only in her head. I was so torn with the Greg situation, and I can totally understand all three sides. Its messy, and it is realistic, and it kept me hooked.
      I also hung onto every scene with Carter. I pictured him kinda like John Carter in ER, and the image stuck with me. I liked Carter on TV, and I like the Carter in Anything but Ordinary as well.
      Speaking of characters, I so felt for and wanted to smack Sydney all at once. I can totally see where she is coming from and what she must be feeling though.
     The ending. Oh the ending. First I was furious, then I wanted to throw something, then I felt like crying. And then realized how poetic it was and felt like giving Lara an ovation for having such guts to write what she did.
     Honestly, I think this will be a book that is either very well received or not liked at all. But I am of course on the loved it side of things, and Lara Avery is an author to watch for me.
     Bottom Line: I was immersed in Anything but Ordinary. Superb main character with a cast of memorable secondary characters. Sad but weaved with the theme of hope, fight and strength.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Do you wish you could have dreams of things in the future?

Pin It

26 comments:

  1. It sounds really,really interesting. I hope I'll like it because I like deep contemporaries. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. its what got me started reading, esp Lurlene mcdaniel

      Delete
  2. It's great when a book draws you in like this from the beginning, thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, "The ending. Oh the ending. First I was furious, then I wanted to throw something, then I felt like crying. And then realized how poetic it was and felt like giving Lara an ovation for having such guts to write what she did." I would rather have an ending that like this any day, then one that feels, cheesy or forced to wrap it up in a neat little bow..awesome, awesome review and I am adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. I still think about Forbidden because she took a chance on such a tough ending...and I think this is same way

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting but I have never really considered it before. I want to give it a shot now though. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting question... one of my teachers used to say we're meant to change the future if we could somehow dream of things in the future :)

    I like what you shared, Brandi! Bryce's story seems so sad and bittersweet. I'm going to add this to my to-watch list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I've never heard of Anything But Ordinary before. It sounds amazing! I will definitely add this to my tbr. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll admit to overlooking this book for sometime now, but you've definitely perked my interest with your excellent review. :) It sounds very intriguing, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this one sounds great.

    I wouldn't want to dream about stuff in the future, it would skew my view of the present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book before but now after reading your review I'm curious!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. To wake up from a coma like that, years have just passed by..Freaky

    ReplyDelete
  11. it sounds like a beautiful book, I love the cover, it's like a dream. I love when I can connect easily with a character. thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this around, but I've never really taken the moment to look at the book. However it sounds like a really brilliant book.

    Your review has certainly prompted me enough to add this book to my wishlist.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a really moving story. I can't imagine the horror of being in a coma for 5 years & waking up to see life has moved on without you! I'm afraid of the ending, however. I hate tragic or bad endings and your review makes me think this may be the case in this story. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine either. The shock of losing that many years.
      Wouldnt say bad, but def tragic

      Delete
  14. I haven't heard of this one before but wow, it sounds intense and heartbreaking, which is what I like to read really. lol Little nervous about the ending though! EEP!

    I would not want any type of vision of the future. Rather live in the now.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this sounds like an emotional and raw read. I will admit, I've overlooked this book and even passed on it a couple of times. I am now smacking myself in the head. It sounds wonderful, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)