Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Speechless
Speechless by Hannah Harrington
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret
Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.
Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.
But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.
Publishes in US: Aug 28th 2012
Source: netgalley
Buy:
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
    This is one of those books that leave you speechless. There was such character growth in Chelsea it was unbelievable, and the secondary cast of characters was amazing.
    I started out not really liking Chelsea, but I think that was the whole point. It was so hard to watch her make such bad choices, but then completely redeem herself by making a very hard one... One that ended up alienating her from her friends, who then turn to bullying her. She decides to take a vow of silence that changes her so much. I can't imagine the resolve it would take to go as long as her without speaking. But she made such an impact on me that when my husband or kids would talk to me after I was reading, I would stare at them and think that I wasn't supposed to be talking. Then I would remember it is Chelsea and not me... I was that engrossed.
    As for the secondary characters, there was the good and the evil, and both were done so well. Asha was so amazing. I loved her bubbliness and her willingness to befriend Chelsea. I loved watching their friendship grown and what Asha brought to the story.
     I loved the tight knit bunch at Rosie's the local diner, and how that quickly became essential to Chelsea's life now that she was cast out of her circle of friends. The relationships with Sam and Andy the friends and boyfriend of Noah, the boy who was injured indirectly because of her but ultimately helped by Chelsea by her actions. I loved the interactions with Chelsea and Sam, and his bravery for opening himself up to her.
     As far as Kristen, she is the it girl, and every bit what I couldn't stand yet somehow found myself envying in high school. Beauty, circle of friends, yet could and would turn on them in an instant. I never knew just how cruel it went though because there were moments when I thought I saw the glimmer of hope for growth in her, and then I wasn't sure if it was dashed the second that she opened her mouth.
     This was a deep novel about speaking up for what's right, learning when to keep a secret, the power of friendship, bullying, self identity including being gay, and also featured involved parents and issues with the dad losing a job. Hannah Harrington weaved it all intricately, tactfully and powerfully into Speechless.
     The moments where Chelsea had "aha" moments about herself, her actions and when she finally stood up for what ultimately got her into the mess were so powerful.
     Bottom line: emotional story sprinkled with sarcasm, witty and light moments. Speechless has a touch of romance and characters that are dynamic and beautifully written.

Trailer


Find Hannah:
blog
twitter
goodreads

My question to you, my lovely readers:
What's the longest you've gone without speaking? Was it easy or hard for you?
Pin It

30 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really good book and I quite like the cover, it seems to reflect the plot! Thanks for sharing :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. Thanks for the boost to go and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, I didn't expect I'd respond to this so strongly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is amazing that you reacted so strongly with this novel! I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds wonderful. I'm intrigued and want to know more. I tried taking a vow of silence and it lasted maybe an hour or two...hahah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew a girl who never spoke the entire time she went to my school. It was so awkward trying to make friends w/someone who only smiled and nodded. I'm definitely going to read Speechless. Thanks for an informative review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awkward but hopefully she was nice though. Why didn't she speak?

      Delete
  7. Interesting... going silence is sometimes not that easy LOL!!

    I like that this book is a lot more than just staying speechless. Thanks for sharing, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you loved this one, it sounds so good. The author is supposed to be amazing and I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot about her other book and need to read it now

      Delete
  9. tnx for the review . on my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got this one for review too! I can't wait to read it cause I see you like it! :) I've read Saving June from Hannah Harrington and it was amazing! :)
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, there was this summer after my 17th birthday when I was in a really bad place - but I guess my reasons were different than hers.
    I have to read this book asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen this one before, nor have I read the author before. I love that the characters are well written and that it's a deep book, but also has some sarcasm to it. I will have to give this one a read. (I don't think I've gone more than a day without speaking...I probably ended up talking to myself out loud anyways.)
    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gone without speaking..eh I have spoken to myself then

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do tend to do this. If I am upset, i do not confront someone or the issue right away, instead I shut-up and internalize. The longest was three days. I said nothing..LOL
    Awesome review and great question.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED this book! Such a great lesson in strength and standing up to bullies. So sad that Chelsea doing the right thing led to all the horrible things that happened to her. I also loved Rosie's Diner. I think all her new friends really helped Chelsea move on. I knew quite a few people in high school that took vows of silence. Usually everyone didn't speak on gay rights day and most teacher's were okay with it unlike that one mean teacher that kept giving Chelsea detention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I LOVE when a book is so engrossing that it impacts you when you're not reading.

    Lets see.. I was in a car accident when I was 17 and couldn't talk because of a ventilator and then tracheotomy for a couple of months. The only time it really bothered me was when I needed to talk on the phone. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just won a preorder of this and I can't wait to get it! I'm so glad that it was so engrossing for you that you thought you shouldn't be talking! ;) I don't think I've ever gone very long without talking on purpose... I know we always tried to get my brother to stay quiet when we were kids because he would never stop talking!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog recently--I'm sorry it's been a while since I've commented on your blog. It seems like I'm always behind! Hope you had a great weekend!

    Check out my upcoming His Dark Materials Readalong and Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant review, Branid! I am reading this at the moment and agree that Chelsea isn't very likeable at first - however, I'm starting to really feel for her now! I'm glad you were impressed with this overall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this book definitely looks interesting! Emotional with sarcasm? Sign me up! I like stories where we start off disliking the main character, but learning to love her! The growth is easily seen then!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I really loved Hannah Harrington's Saving June so I'm glad to hear her second novel is just as amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)