Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Published in US: Dec 6th 2011
1st in Lux series, 2nd Onyx out May 15th 2012, and .5 Shadows out Feb 21st 2012
Source: Netgalley

My Review:
    First off, let me say hell yeah to the shout out to bloggers. I absolutely LOVE that the main character is a book blogger, and that its authentic. I haven't seen that in any other book, and it rocks.
    The writing is awesome, as I've come to know from Half Blood, the first in Jennifer's other series (I also have a copy of Pure screaming at me to be read... I just seriously need to find more time to read, but with the three year old and the newborn, its not as often as I like, but I digress).
    As most of you probably know, I am a character person. They make or break books for me, and Jennifer sure nailed it. I love Katy's voice and character, she was so easy to connect with and to be in her head. It was natural and flowed so well. She's kinda shy but she fights to overcome it, which I admire greatly. I love how bold she is with Daemon sometimes, and the way the way that she handles him... well, it couldn't be done any better. Her internal voice, especially the running commentary about his lack of wearing a shirt is great.
   And oh hot Daemon. Who knew that aliens could be sexy. But he totally makes it work. He has the bad ass vibe, and he really is an ass sometimes. By about half way through, I understand why, but still. And I really think that the jerkiness is mostly because he wants to protect her and his sister. He doesn't want her to be drawn into a dangerous world. But does that excuse it? I appreciate how Katy questions it, and doesn't just let the attraction totally drive things. She doesn't let his sexy overpower what she wants and what she knows she deserves. And there really is some tender beneath the jerk, even though it isn't the easiest to see or remember when he's being a jerk. I really appreciate Jennifer's genius in writing his character where I can totally see the appeal, but then again, I don't want anything to do with him, then the next minute I wish I were the one kissing him, and then I am totally questioning it again the next.
    And I don't want to spoil anything, but just let me say, sweet baby jesus--the lake scene. Yeah. That's all.
    Dee is pretty amazing too. She is the sort of female character that I wish were one of my best friends. She is perceptive, talkative, and understanding.
    As for pacing and that good stuff... I was never bored, and always wanting to know what would happen next, and yearning to be reading when life and other books that I had a short window of time to read got in the way of that that is Obsidian awesomeness.


10 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved Obsidian! *sigh* Daemon...I can't wait to read more in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been want to read this book for a very long time. I am glad you liked it. The title is awesome. I liked your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too! And Deamon! Even if it was a jerk but I got him. I hope it he starts to be nicer in the next book. Thanks for posting the review. It was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that the main character is a book blogger as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Katy's reaction to Daemon too. She lusted for him sure but she also kept her wits about her and could make a rational decision even though she wanted him.
    That's hard to pull off so I applaud Armintrout for making me see all sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review!! May have to add this one to my ever growing TBR mountain! Take 1 book off add 6 more! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really can't wait for the next one, and Jessica, I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to reading this series , I have them all so far, waiting until the next one is out to even start (or closer to it being out) as I hate waiting for the next books, like now, waiting for the next in her Covenant series, which I love, if you have not read them yet, you need too, they are amazing. :) Great review. :)
    Concise Book Reviews By Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. runs to find Nook!!! awesome review and hell yeah I love bloggers too! Daemon *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the middle of this book, AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)