Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mini Review: Quad by C.G. Watson

Quad
Quad by C.G. Watson
Everything led up to this moment—the point when the teasing, the cruelty, the pressure all became too much. And someone finally snapped.
Now six students, from six different cliques, are trapped in the student store while a shooter terrorizes their school. The shooter's identity is teased out through the students' flashbacks until the reader breathlessly reaches the final page. It's only there that he discovers the shocking answer to the question: Who is shooting out in the quad?
This gripping thriller by educator C. G. Watson is inspired by observations made in her own high school. Quad examines in heartrending detail how even the most casual cruelties can tear people apart.
Source: library
Published in US: May 07

My "mini"view:
    This is a non-stop book, and I read it in almost one sitting. I liked it overall, but the beginning it felt like there were too many characters being thrown at me. I eventually got to know them, but I didn't get to connect to any of them deeply even with the strenuous conditions they were under because there were so many of them.
     This book does make me think, and I hope others too. You don't really know what is going on in someone's head, when you might push too far. The walk a mile in their shoes before you judge thing I guess. But it does deal with important issues--shooting, bullying, and the class structure of high school.

Similar reads: 19 Minutes by Picoult, Hate List by Brown

5 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!!! Just added it to my TBR list! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book that deals with some important issues, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review. i'm fascinated by books that deal with school shootings because it's a horrible thing, but it's something people should learn to understand more...like how does a person reach the point where they ring a gun to school? sounds like a good book.


    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had *just* moved to Colorado and started college when Columbine happened, not even 20 miles from the school. Lots of people I knew had come from Columbine or still had friends/family at that school. All of us were affected, even if we weren't personally connected to Columbine because of what you said--you never know what trigger will make a person snap, and any one of us has to power to break someone like that.


    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow you made me want to put this on my read list for like now. I love fast paced novels.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)