Sunday, November 7, 2010

Review: Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Darkness 
Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl  Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.
Photo from and book links to The Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US:  Aug 2nd 2010
Part of Louder Than Words series (but is a stand-alone novel)

**My rating: 4/5**

*My review*

   While I liked this book, I did not like it as much as the first. It is also one of the ones that is next to impossible for me to review without giving spoilers.
   What I can say-- there was always plenty of action, things to question as well as questions being answered. Ethan is still very likeable, and I relate to him and his voice. Link is around still and funny and easy going as ever. We see Amma a lot and learn more about her and her abilities, which is a very good thing in my opinion. One of the things that I did not like is Lena's choices. While I understand some of her reasoning- still doesn't mean that I like it.
    I didn't see much of the storyline coming, and I did not expect the changes that occurred. I am eager to get my hands on the next one.

I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book.

1 comment:

  1. I think I can wait on this one ;) I'll take your word for it that it's not as good as the first. Honestly, the first didn't really do it for me all that much. Still Like Ethan, but think it could have been written in about 300 pages and get the story across, probably speed up the pace too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)