Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Sea Change  Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
 16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?
Book links to The Book Depository and photo and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US:  June 1st 2009
Possible sequel in the works


**My rating: 4.5/5**


*My review*


      Sea Change is a wonderful book. I haven't read much about mermaid lore and this was a great introduction into that world. It is has lovely detail that made me feel like I was there and seeing the wonderful sights.
     The characters are well written. Miranda is a loveable nerd, and I say that with all affection. I can understand her reluctance to even consider much less begin to believe the supernatural even when it is poking her in the nose. Her mother was well written- she was involved, a little skeptical and wanting the best for her child while coming off as controlling- in the best way. The time at Selkie island transforms her and she is able to finally relate and connect with Miranda, and give a reluctance blessing for her feelings. Leo is a heart-throb. Aimee wrote their romance in a way that made me feel giddy. Though it was quick forming- it is a summer romance (of course with the potential for more) and that is the nature of the beast. He is a gentleman, and he sees Miranda for who she is and accepts her without criticism. Miranda's friends are a bit annoying and spoiled, but Cece is light-hearted and she shows some depth near the end.
      The pace is leisurely- it doesn't need a lot of action to make it great. Details are introduced at a good pace and it kept me interested throughout.
      I have mixed feelings about the ending- it doesn't give the best of closure, but its not totally a cliffie. I just wanted more. There is definitely room for a sequel and expand on what is written, but then again part of me really likes the mystery and the way it was left. It leaves my imagination to wander and leaves me wondering what and if anything supernatural was really going on or if it is just fancy.
     This is a great romantic tale, a summer love, with a twist of paranormal, and I definitely recommend it.   


I would love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review.

8 comments:

  1. Oh a 4.5/5 that sounds promising! I haven't read many mermaid tales either, so this seems like a refreshing break from the vamps and shifters. The ending sounds interesting, one of those that makes you question everything that came before. Definitely adding this one to my list, thanks Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the ending! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome review, Brandi!The last time I read about mermaids I was less than 10 year old.Sea definitely sounds different from the usual YA paranormal romances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Brandi! Made me want to purchase a copy of it now. Plus, I like mermaid tales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems like a great read!
    And by the way, your blog is sooooo cool, love it :)
    New follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! When I read it, it totally brought me relaxed vibes and felt like summer. It's a really nice book, but there could have been more closure, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this on Not-So-Bebe-Girl Autumn's list! Her Christmas book box is going to be OVERflowing this year!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I couldn't have said it better myself... and like you stated, i also had mixed feelings about the ending... i mean i know its supposed to leave us all pondering and mysterious, but i desperately wanted Leo and Miranda to have their happy ending!

    Hoping there's a sequel,
    Diana

    ps. cuttee blog! u have a new follower in mee :)

    pss. i found your review via- the sea change fan-site on facebook. The author herself posted it :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)