Friday, November 19, 2010

Review: Personal Demons by Lisa Derochers

  Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance—even her closest friends—and it seems her senior year will be more of the same...until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him. What she doesn't know is that Luc works in Acquisitions—for Hell—and she possesses a unique skill set that has the King of Hell tingling with anticipation. All Luc has to do is get her to sin, and he’s as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and the angel, Gabe, is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that Luc doesn’t get what he came for. And it isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just her soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay…for all of them.

Book links to The Book Depository and photo and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US:  Sept 14th 2010
Source: From publisher in exchange for honest review.
1st in a series, the next Original Sin will be out July 2011

**My rating: 4/5**

*My Review*

     Personal Demons is a quick and exciting read. There are mouth watering guys, a feisty main character, and a well paced plot. This is the age old good verses evil tale told in a relatable, suspenseful, touching and funny story.
      I really enjoyed Frannie, she was a strong character and I liked hearing things from her point of view. I like that she questioned her feeling and didn't just blindly accept Luc and Gabriel's presence in her life or how they made her feel. I also like that she wants to have control over her life and has valid reasons for the decisions she makes.
     There is a love triangle, but Gabriel never felt right, like he was a valid option in my opinion. I am glad that he was there for protection and guidance, and I understand that the quickest way to have him connect with Frannie and gain her trust is that attraction.
     Luc was always the choice for me. He is the ultimate bad boy who is changed and transformed by love. It really made me smile to watch him change, question the view points he once though ingrained. All of the heaven and hell jibes and jokes were amazing too!
     Also, I just wanted to put in that I am a cover fanatic, and for a while was put off by the cover(s) of this book. DO NOT let that deter you if you, like me, are not crazy about it. There is an awesome story behind it! Now that I have read the book, I have actually found things about the cover that I like and appreciate, but it did originally turn me off.
      Frannie's journey to finding love, forgiving herself, healing from her brother's death of which she blames herself, and ultimately taking control of her life is a wonderful story. I love it when a book makes me laugh, and when it makes me think. The lines of good and evil can be so blurred, and often they are thought of and portrayed in a black and white manner. I really enjoyed how Lisa worked that in. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I recommend that you give it a try. 

I would love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops might have put a spoiler in there, sorry! Ok, I was saying you gave an awesome review! I'm so glad you liked it =) For me, the voice of the novel felt too young for the characters age, but overall, it was a good story. I enjoyed Frannie's struggle and the fact that she was a strong female character for YA, but the lines like "Hmm cinnamon" kinda cheesed me out a bit lol. Luc was a great bad boy, I really liked him, and I hope Gabe has more of a role in the next book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Brandi! I've yet to read this because the cover is hideous, in my honest opinion haha I've also heard mixed reviews, so I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read some great reviews of Personal Demons. Its been lying on my bookshelf for ages. I will read it soon, I think. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tag! You're it! http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2010/11/want-to-play-tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed PD. Gabe didn't feel right either, but I have a feeling that the next book will be all about him. I think that Frannie needed to be the better half of the couple in order to choose a side. If she were with Gabe she would feel like she deserved to go to hell. With Luc, she realized she wasn't that bad. Looking forward to original sin!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)