Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review: Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel by Adeline Yen Mah

Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel  Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel by Adeline Yen Mah
"Bestselling Chinese American author Adeline Yen Mah weaves her authentic accounts of life in China into an absorbing novel about a Chinese girl and her vision of a previous life.

After a fall, CC is whisked away to a hospital. As she drifts in and out of consciousness, she is haunted by vivid dreams that seem strange—yet somehow familiar. Thus begins CC’s emotional journey back to a privileged life lived eight hundred years ago during the Song dynasty.

CC is the daughter of a wealthy and influential man, but she finds herself drawn to a poor orphan boy with a startling ability to capture the beauty of the natural world. As the relationship between these two young people deepens, the transforming power of art and romantic love comes into conflict with the immovable rules of Chinese society.

This stunning fantasy adventure novel, inspired by China’s most famous painting, Along the River at the Qing Ming Festival, tells the story of a friendship both tender and bold. CC’s remarkable journey reminds readers that though time moves on, art and love endure."
Book picture and link from The Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads
Received ARC copy from contest win at Princess Bookie

**My rating: 4/5**

*My review*

 
         Along the River is really the story of Mei Lan, a privileged chinese girl in the Song dynasty. There is a sweet friendship between her brother Gege, and the servant boy- Ah Li who is an amazing artist with lots to teach Gege, and Mei Lan.
          CC is a young woman and the conduit to our story. When she slips and falls, she wakes up drawn to a painting from ages ago, and with strange dreams. Through hypnosis, she relates to her doctor her memories, which is the life of Mei Lan and her adventures.
           A sweet love story develops with Mei Lan and Ah Li, but it seems that fate is against them.
          I don't understand fully why the subtitle- a chinese cinderella novel- is included unless there is a different fairy tale for chinese. It seems that it is more of a historical fiction, and I reviewed and rated it that way.


If you like this book I am willing to trade for it! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Brandi! The premise of this novel does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received this book in the mail. Thanks for your review--I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of this one but I really want to read more POC books next year so will add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one yet, but it seems interesting. I'll def. have to check this one out! Thanks for the review <3

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)