Friday, October 8, 2010

Review: The Mark by MR Bunderson

The Mark The Mark by M.R. Bunderson
"She's had it forever. A tiny mark on her hand. No big deal, right? But when Tori discovers that her ordinary freckle is really some kind of microscopic tattoo, she doesn't know what to think, especially after meeting Eric, a guy she feels strangely connected to--and not just because he has a mark too. All too soon, Tori and Eric realize that their marks are only the first clue to a mystery that will change everything. And with each new discovery, Tori finds herself pulled deeper and deeper into a world she could never have imagined."
Book picture and link go to The Book Depository and teaser is from Goodreads.com
Published Mar 2010 (sequel in progess)
Marilyn's website, and blog

** My rating: 4/5**

*My review*

 The Mark is a wonderful book. It has romance, mystery and a paranormal element. Marilyn paces the book wonderfully and has written very good characters. The premise for the book is very intriguing to me, and I love how the characters have a special connection to one another. They are mysteriously drawn together, having unique characteristics in common. As they uncover more information, they realize that the further they go could lead to an amazing discovery, but what happens when mysterious powers do not want them to know more?
 So that is best as I can talk about the plot and what I liked without giving spoilers. I can talk about the characters themselves a bit more. Tori is a good protagonist- she has an active voice, and the writing is descriptive so that I could connect with her and understand what she is going though and feeling.
 She has a wonderful best friend Shae, who even though is not directly affected by the mystery surrounding Tori and her other friends, she is accepting and wanting to help. Tori also builds a wonderful friendship with Eric, Amanda, Miles and Sebastian- the ones who share the unique characteristics and are directly involved. These characters all have unique personalities and voices and this is nice to have because sometimes when you get numerous characters they can be hard to distinguish.
 The relationship between Tori and Eric is nice. They have the paranormal element that contributes to the fairly quick progression, and they were also questioning it, and I feel like that is a good thing, because real life relationships and characters that I relate to easily have basis in real world even if they are paranormal. Another element that I saw and like that the trend seems to be reversing is that Tori's family was involved in her life. Although they weren't huge characters in the book, Tori's respect and love for them, and their love and protectiveness for her was shown.
 A minor complaint is that I don't like it seems like some events were cut out, but there was still build up to them- such as the dance that was mentioned.
 The end wraps things up well so that it could stand alone, but there is a sequel coming that I am excited for!

I would love to hear what you think about this book and/or my review!
Sidenote: I just added this book to my for sell/trade list if you are interested!

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting story! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds intriguing! I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to find new books to read whenever I visit your blog.Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, this sounds really interesting. I'm definitely putting it on my to read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this one but I really like the sound of it! Thank you for not giving anything away in your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of this one before, but it sounds good. Thanks for the review, I might never have heard of it otherwise :)

    Here from Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved this book! I'm glad you liked it too. I hope there is a sequel, but I was definitely satisfied with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came from the Saturday Situation hosted by Candace's Book Blog and Pure Imagination.

    I like it that the book can be read as a stand alone and that there is a staisfactory resolution of the story in the ending. Those are important to me. I hate cliffhanger endings.

    Cherry Mischievous

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the first time I'm hearing about this book but your review made me want to read it :) I think it will appear on my to-read list very soon. Thank you for the review!

    I came here from Saturday Situation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay I'm always looking for new books to add to my Plan To Read pile! thank you for the book review! It is really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a very interesting book! Your review was great and I enjoyed reading it. I can't wait to read the book now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fascinating. I've seen this one at the book store a few times and almost bought it once. I like the idea of the marks connecting everyone, especially as a girl with a (much more noticeable than a freckle) birthmark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was drawn in by the cover. The summary made me want to read it. Now I think I have to go out a buy a copy. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read pretty good things on this one. I'm always happy to read spoiler-free reviews as well. The fact that it ends on a full note rather than a cliffhanger is a big plus, too! Thanks for the review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds pretty good. Going to have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)