Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend 
The Duff by Kody Keplinger "Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley. Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone."
Book picture and link go to The Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads
Publication: Sept 7th 2010 (standalone)
Rec'd ARC copy from Goodreads Book Swap

**My rating:5/5**

*My review*

     I relate to this book so much as I am sure that many if not all girls can. It deals with being the designated ugly fat friend, and I know that I often feel out of place, not right in my own skin, wonder why people hang out with me, and think that my looks are inferior to my friends.
    Bianca's character could pretty much be me, pessimistic, sarcastic but funny in that dry quirky way, loyal, insecure, smart, too trusting at times, not trusting enough others. It was a breeze to be in her head, and to understand her feelings and reactions. Her family life is going through a rough patch and she is looking for an escape- and finds it in the jerk- hot jerk nonetheless- Wesley. But what happens if she develops feelings that she feels will never be returned? (I have been there too)
    Slightly spoilerish:This book should only be for older teens, (highlight if you want to read) because she does use sex as an escape. It is not overly explicit, but there are sexual situations, and even though B realizes what she is doing is wrong and inappropriate- and makes the decision in the end to slow things down, it still happens. There is also some curse words- it does not distract from the story, but also disclaimer. There is also an instance of domestic violence but it is not a continued thing and the involved party gets help. This looks at some of the gritty parts of being a teenager, but does not glorify it, and explores reasons, reactions, emotions, guilt, etc.
    Her friends are amazing, and I have a few like that-- who will tell me like it is, who know my moods, and who are there. They are the best kind! There is also a love triangle, one of course is the bad-boy, bad a**, womanizer with the soft side and the hidden fears and insecurities- Wesley. The other is a perfect gentlemen, but a nerd-Toby. (Not judging- my hubby is a nerd, but Wesley (types) makes me melt in ways Toby can't begin to... but can't say any more without spoiling).
    And to think that I almost dismissed this book without even reading the synopsis because I thought it was about or written by Hilary Duff. Yes, you can laugh and point now :)
    On a more serious note, some of the revelations that B comes to made me almost shiver. It conveys a rough image to start, but she realizes some fundamental truths, and she has an important message to get across. I really enjoyed this one!

14 comments:

  1. I love this one, for pretty much all the reasons you stated! It's a beautiful love story, with a serious message. I'm actually not a fan of love triangles, but this one was done in a way that didn't bother me at all. There wasn't a thing I didn't like about this book. It just felt so real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book should be arriving in my mailbox this week! I've heard such great things about it & wanted to see for myself. Thanks for writing another great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I loved this book too! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I've got this on my TBR, it sounds really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the giveaway for simply suppers posted!
    http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I did enjoy this book, I also felt that it really isn't a book I could recommend to most of the YA audience. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost dismissed this book too! But it will definitely stay as one of my favorites. Gosh I loved it. It was everything and more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen this one around a lot and I think I might have to add it to my ginormous TBR mountain :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime I see a good review for this one, the more I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to read this book.But with my increasing TBR pile I have to wait to read it. Your review makes me want to read this book even more. Thanks!

    P.S Even I thought it was something to do with Hilary Duff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought my computer screen acted up when I first saw the highlighted part. lol. Then I started reading your review. Anyways, I love your review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been really waiting for to read The Duff. Great review. It's awesome when some fictional characters start to feel so much like you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to pick this one up since I read the synopsis. I've seen some great reviews for it too, so I have to get it soon. Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your review! I think we can all relate to feeling like The Duff. And I also thought it was about Hilary Duff too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)