Sunday, October 24, 2010

Unearthy by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly Unearthy by Cynthia Hand 
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what it is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place--and out of place, at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make--between honesty and deciet, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Book links to The Book Depository and photo and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US:  Jan 1 2011
This seems to be part of a series-- at least it better be! :)

Unearthly is a delightful read, focusing on Nephilim, or as they prefer in this book angel-blood. The writing is paced wonderfully and the story gripped me right away. Cynthia has created likable and easy to relate with characters, that I was emotionally invested in. 

Clara, the main character, is a great narrator- I could easily understand where she was coming from with her actions and emotions. I liked that she wasn't fully informed on the whole angel world, and that I got to learn with her, and that I was questioning everything just like her. I was able to relate with her- her insecurities, fears and doubts. She isn't a perfect character and I love her for that- I can see growth in her, and I feel more connected to her through her weaknesses. Not that she is a doormat- she has some fiest in her, which is commendable. She has to face some hard situations- choosing between love and destiny. 

Her friends, Angela and Wendy are fantastic- I would take them as my besties in an instant. They are funny, supportive, and they both have their own personalities. They both help Clara to grow in different but important ways. Wendy also pushes her brother, and Clara's love interest to her, and helps it to develop. 

There is a love triangle, which is very well written. One is her love, and one she has a crush on to begin with but it seems that he is her destiny. I am firmly on team Tucker, but I can see the appeal of Christian as well. I like that Tucker and Clara's relationship grows through friendship first, unlike with Christian, even though she sees him in visions, it seems to be an automatic thing, built more from physical attraction. It is hard to judge there though, because Clara does have a bigger purpose- and she doesn't know all the details, even at the end. 

The end is a cliff-hanger but it is not the worst I have encountered. We get some closure and the main theme of the book has happened, even though not fully resolved. 

Overall- I really liked this book and would recommend to pick it up when it releases or as you have a chance. 

9 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I absolutely adore the cover for this book... I think I will pick it up soon. Since I have been introduced into the world of angels, I can't get enough of them (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review just motivated me to read the book. I had got it via Netgalley and not yet read it.Great review! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really want to read this one! Thank so much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unearthly is on my TBR list...and now I want to read it even more. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my wishlist and I'm so glad to read that it was good. I am really happy that the writing is well paced and smooth and the characters are well developed. Thanks for the informative (but not spoilerish) review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the cover on this book = i've been thinking about getting this one even though i don;t normally read angel stuff - but have heard it's one of the better ones. and yay for such an amazing review of it! really well said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this book too! Great review also. I can't wait to see when the next book comes out! That's the only thing about getting a book so early!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I've been looking forward to this book for a long time now, I've been getting into YA fiction involving angels, nephilim and the like. I'm glad you liked this. Hope I enjoy it just as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Review!! I am still learning how to write them. I can not get them to sound so good. This sounded like it could be on the book. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)