Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Review: You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

You Wish
You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Kayla McHenry’s sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left,her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin’ do.
Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year’s supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla’s wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is her best friend’s boyfriend.
Book links to The Book Depository and photo and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US: Aug 5 2010

**My rating: 4/5**

*My review*

     You wish is a funny, cute and quick read! It is light but there are underlying themes that make it more than just a fluffy read (not that there is anything wrong with that!) I love it when books make me laugh and this one made me laugh throughout- Kayla's responses to things, what is actually going on in the plot, and her snarky comments.
   Kayla is an "outcast" and makes quirps at the popular crowd throughout, and I can totally relate- I was that girl in high school! I like the growth that we see in her especially toward the end, she realizes that she can be herself, instead of the self imposed image she put on herself of being everything that "they" are not.
   Her friendship with Nicole and Ann are great, and both had something to teach Kayla and to contribute to the novel. Ben, the love interest of the semi-triangle, is cute and quirky himself, and it is fun to watch him and Kayla interact. Kayla does somewhat fall under the absentee parent trend in YA, but I like that there is at least acknowledgement of this and some resolution to it.
   The wishes are all great in their own aspects, and I was kept wondering what would come next! It really makes you think about the things you wish for and how it could effect you if it came true later in life.
   I would definitely recommend this one! And I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or this book.

Interested in You Wish? It is on my for sale/trade page!

7 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around, but it never really appealed to me until now...thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really cute and fun and I always like a book that can make me laugh out loud. I'm adding this one to my list, it seems too quirky and funny to pass up. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I thought this book would actually be kind of pointless, but you proved me wrong!- I'll definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I was under the impression that this book is one of those which don't have a point or meaning. But your review has convinced me to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I need to read light and fun books after reading an intense/thrilling novels. You Wish seems to be a perfect book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover to this! This looks pretty cute. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was released in Aus just a little while ago, and I'm definitely going to be buying it as soon as my exams are over. It's been great to see good reviews of it everywhere -- I feel super proud, because Mandy is a member of my group blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)