Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review: Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment  Torment by Lauren Kate
How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?
Book picture and link from The Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US: Sept 28 2010
Book 2 out of 4 in Fallen series (3 out summer 2011)


*My review* (slightly spoilerish)


       Torment was a very enjoyable read, though I had a few issues. The issues were surpassed by awesome characters and the writing. I didn't want to put it down and I am now craving Passion even though I have quite a time to wait.
       Luce grew a backbone in this book, and for this I am very glad and applaud Lauren Kate. Even though she felt this magnetic pull to and incredible love for Daniel, she began to really question why it was there. She has no memories of the past lives that they shared, all she has are stolen kisses and a few sweet memories. When he gives orders, and is forced to be behind the scenes, she stands up for herself and demands to know more, she gets angry and pushes to know the relevant information. I am not saying that this driving desire doesn't result in some bad decisions, but she has every right to know more, and to wonder at the intensity of their love.
      I really wanted to see more of Daniel in this book. I am honestly not completely sold on him, even though I would really like to be. I adore the concept of undying love, and he has the potential to be an amazing love interest and an awesome character, but I just don't know enough about him. I am in the same boat as Luce except that I don't have any pull to him. There is just too many secrets and so much mystery shrouding him and what role he plays in tipping the balance of the war.
      As for the new characters, they are wonderful and really made me get into the story more. Shelby is a firecracker and I love watching her and Luce's relationship build and their interactions. Miles is so cute, and I love his devotion, friendship and understanding toward Luce. He is a down to earth guy and I got to see the cute moments that really build a relationship between him and Luce. Though I am hesitant to get too attached because I know that this is ultimately Luce and Daniel's story and I don't want to hope for romance with them even though it made be alluded just to have that shot down or him be a character just brought in to sacrifice himself for her. Oh, and Franscesa and Steven were also wonderful- they wonderfully illustrated the talk about the line between love and hate- angels and demons- is more blurry than one would like to think. It is heart breaking when she says- "Do I love him, yes. But when the battle comes, I will have to kill him."
     Adrianne comes back in this one, and kicks some butt. I totally did not see it coming, but I am glad that she is back. Cam is also back in this one, and he is still a big question mark. I am unsure of his allegiances in the end, and him and Daniel working together.
     Overall this is a great story, and I feel like Torment is doing a lot of ground- work for scenes to come.


I have to share a few quotes that I found amusing:



"If you two were going to be that obvious about it, why didn't you come down stairs in your Team Daniel and Team Miles T-Shirts?"
"We should order those," Shelby said.
"Mine's in the laundry," Arriane said. 



"Well, as much as I love kicking asses and taking names, it's way past curfew for you three"- Arriane" 


So-- I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or the book.



10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet so I skimmed your review but I'm encouraged by your rating and am glad the issues you had were able to be overlooked by the writing and characters. I'm excited to get to this one next:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just finished this book last week and I thought it was much better than the first one. I'm a bit more sold on Daniel than you are though, lol. I mainly think the mystery around him is his attempt not to hurt Luce by letting her know too much. I also suspect that the reason he hasn't made a decision what side he's on in the war is because being on the "good" side will require giving up Luce. That's just speculation on my part though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved Torment and now I can't wait for Passion either. I totally agree with Luce finally having a backbone. In this one I feel like I relate to her a little more, because I'm so stubborn and I would have been super rebelling. If he loves her so much, why doesn't e tell her what he CAN, so that she at least knows what she's up against. He's as elusive as a cheating boyfriend. And I HATE that about his character so far ( because I think it will change).

    I also love that Cam (even though I don't trust him), Arriane & Gabbe are back, and I liked that we got to finally "meet" Callie. I love that you were able to keep your review short. I feel like mine get kind of long, and I realized yay when I posted my Torment review that it was a constant thing with me. Kind of like this post haha. Sorry! But when I enjoy a book so much, I just have so much to say about it!

    Ashlie
    Page Turners Gone Wild

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to reading Fallen now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really had to skim over your review because I didn't want to get spoiled:) I just finished Fallen and I'm itching to get to Torment, but its on "The List" :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog! I have been following via Twitter. I now follow your blog on GFC. Have a great day

    http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review, Brandi! I had to skimmed over your review because of your warning. I'm looking forward to reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! What did you think of Fallen? I really enjoyed it but had problems with it at the same time. I get the feeling that you had similar problems with Torment. Did you also have issues with Fallen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish i could share your opinion, but unfortunately this book just put me to sleep.. Was kind of corny, idk, hopefully passion would wet my appettite once more.. i hope!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)